From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 10:59:13 +0100
The responses so far have been interesting.
In the UK you don't break copyright if you photograph "buildings, and
sculptures, models for buildings and works of artistic craftsmanship, if
permanently situated in a public place of in premises open to the
public." (1988 copyright act) Otherwise you will breach copyright if you
take photographs of art that is still in copyright (i.e. the artist has
not been dead for more than 70 years).  For older artworks etc.
photographed in a museum or archive you would not breach copyright but
if entry was on condition that you did not photograph the works you
would have broken you contract with the museum and they might be able to
sue you.

There are conservation issues if flash is used, however for documents in
archives using a digital camera would reduce the handling of the
document and especially if flash was not used would result in less light
exposure than taking a photocopy.

Interestingly the online photo service would be breaching copyright if
it made copies of any photograph that had been made in breach of
copyright (would this be true under US law as well?).  I'm not sure what
the position would be if the original photograph had been made under
some sort of private use clause and the photo service made
copies/enlargements for a fee - surely the photo service would be making
the copies for a commercial reason?

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage, Room 530, 23 Savile Row, London
W1S 2ET, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7973 3482  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7973 3209

List

--

--

http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
> faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands
by
> sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] .
The