From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:44:35 -0500
Ken:

Sometime in the last decade, our board determined that we would not
participate fiscally or otherwise in sales of works from temporary exhibits.
We will put interested parties in touch whomever is selling the work, but we
do not take a percentage.  It was decided that doing so would be a conflict
of interest and furthermore might encourage future planners (curutors or
committees) to choose exhibits based on their profit potential rather than
aesthetic or educational import.

There has been one exception since I've been here.  In the case of one
regular traveling exhibition - that of the American Watercolor Society - the
AWS institutional policy is to donate a percentage of any sale to the host
museum, and though we have verbally declined profit participation, they've
sent us a check or two.  These go directly into the acquisitions fund.

We absolutely would not insist on taking a percentage off the price of work
purchased from an exhibit in our own space.  This sounds to me like a bit of
bullying, telling an artist that we insist on buying at a discount because
the museum gave him or her wall space.  We would never.  In the case of
galleries, I have found that they'll usually give you a "museum discount" if
you ask nicely.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108