From:
Allison Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 08:46:42 -0500
I believe that the Light Impressions product that the original poster refers
to is B72 (mixed with what, I don't know - acetone possibly), sold in a nail
-polish type bottle with the little brush built in.  It is sold in both
clear and white.  I'd be interested to know what the white ingredient is,
and if it is archival. It looks awfully convenient.

I still use B72 (mixed with acetone for sake of ease), with white acrylic
paint on dark objects.  I played with Soluvar, but found that it flaked off
too easily for my comfort. In regards to the aesthetic point that Suzanne
makes about a white band on a dark object, I agree that it is
inappropritate, but only if an area on the object can not be found  that is
hidden from view (like the underside or base of the object) . Personally,
the two main (aesthetic vs/ practical) criteria I consider before placing a
mark on an object are:

1) where can I place this number where it won't aesthetically compromise
that integrity of the piece,( i.e. won't be seen) : ), especially while on
display
2) where can I place this number so that if the tag is ever lost, people can
easily identify it

Unfortunately, it is not always that easy to find a happy medium between the
two criteria.  and to those of you out there who don't or haven't yet marked
objects, there is much more to it that choosing the appropriate method.
Hopefully, the AAM workshop will cover all aspects of marking, including
archival vs. non archival methods, aesthetics, theory, and practicality.

At 11:01 AM 4/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I wouldn't use it, without a conservators blessing, but a white band
>painted on a bronze might be aesthetically inappropriate.  A similar sized
>band of clear soluvar (synthetic varnish) with a number painted discretely
>in red acrylic paint and then covered with another layer of clear soluvar
>would be preferrable in that it is certainly reversable without damage to
>the bronze (using the appropriate solvent) and it does not draw much
>attention to itself.
>
>I would suggest further that the workshop on number marking (Friday at
>AAM), will be the definitive workshop on the subject.
>

>Suzanne
>
>************
>Suzanne Quigley
>Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
>Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
>1071 Fifth Avenue
>New York, NY 10128
>212 423 3568
>fax: 212 423 3650
>email: [log in to unmask]

Allison A. Smith                        Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art
Registrar                               Marquette University
[log in to unmask]           Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA