From:
Mary Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:38:33 -0400
Greetings,

We were recently given a large collection of items relating to our
city's transportation history and I have a few questions.  The
collection consists mainly of paper items that were stored in cardboard
boxes in the donor's garage.  When we were loading the collection to
bring it to our place, we found that some of the documents (mainly
publications and closed books) had active termite infestation.  We tried
very hard to make certain that we did not bring any of this back with
us, but I'm sure that some did travel back with us.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to treat termite infestation
in paper collections.  Even though we may have some live termites, I am
very worried about eggs and how to treat them.  I know that borax soap
powder is used to treat flea eggs (sprinkle the dry soap on the carpet
and it will dry out the eggs), has anyone heard of this being used on
termites?  Also, (here comes the ignorant question) would using dry soap
powder on paper cause any damage?

Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free
to respond directly to me at the address below, and thanks in advance.

Mary Oliver
Archivist/Curator/Registrar

Montgomery County Historical Society
224 N. St. Clair Street