From:
Tim Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2012 13:32:15 -0700
Nice post Mark,

I didn't know the 1/8"-per-PAR code, and I've been around those bulbs for
almost 50 years.

A few nice things have happened in the past few years, so that almost anyone
who is partially-technically-inclined can become their own lighting expert
[in time].

X-Rite has come out with a new version of its i1Pro, a very useful color
spectrophotometer [the new i1Pro2 go for $1100-1800].  This means that all
the older models [the kind I have used for 12 years] are showing up on eBay
for $400-600 Buy-it-Now; I think I paid $1500 for my first one.

When used on a laptop via a USB port [with the all important white dome
ambient light attachment] with  Robin Myers' SpectraShop software ($50-95)
you can measure the color temperature of any light source even "dimmed"
incandescent, LED lamps in the showroom and daylight through windows of all
types with light reflecting off all colors of surfaces and all times of the
day.  This measurement tool and software can measure the actual color
temperature [in degrees Kelvin] and in two flavors of CRI (8-patch and the
more accurate 16-patch version) with spectral output, or as a set of XYZ,
Lab or RGB (given the RGB Color Space such as Adobe RGB 1998) numbers.  The
spectra reveal presence of UV, spikes due to mercury and phosphors in
fluorescent bulbs and the UV content in white LEDs.  Daylight and
incandescent light sources generally have smooth spectra with few humps and
spikes; they render color very nicely.

The issue with the humps and spikes in a light sources or lamps spectra, is
that while the spectral features can't really be seen on a white/gray
reflector card, they tend to overexcite particular colors in favor of others
skewing "display" color.  The CRI has some value here [8-patch version is
used by most manufacturers because it give more favorable results, while
still being an "official" tool], but the 16-patch version is far better --
its all in SpectraShop v4.  SpectraShop can also be used to show several
spectra at the same time, subtract one from another, and to convert one bit
of color data to any other color property and much more. [What did you do
without it?]

This will open your eyes and make you an expert, after some months of daily
use.  Make sure your used i1Pro is not (a) the Display model and (b) is the
UV-cut version, and, DOES INCLUDE the light diffuser dome attachment, in its
2" x 2" x 3/4" black clamshell case.  There are many more attachments good
for other applications such as measuring the color of a particular thing in
a 1.5 mm spot, and calibrating [all] your computer monitor(s).  However, it
won't yet work on your iPad even though it has a USB port; Myers' is working
on this, but its the drivers from X-Rite and iPad-OS.

Tim Vitale
Conservator
Oakland, CA
510-594-8277