From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:30:46 -0400
In the end (with regards to the workplace), it comes down to management.  It is up to management to train staff properly and ensure that all dress and behavior codes are observed.  When you come across a situation with a gum popping, apathetic teenager, this reflects on management's training and oversight.  Becky sounds like a very conscientious administrator who makes sure her staff presents the appearance she wants her site to convey.  Not all management staff is so in tune with how their appearance comes across to their clients.  And its up to management to educate their staff on the importance of a certain appearance.  Yes, people should learn this at home before they make it to the work place, but many don't.  Its that simple.  So if you're going to demand specific behaviors, make sure its well known before you hire potential staff members.  Becky seems to do that effectively.

It comes down to diversity and individuality verses conformity to social norms and traditions. Both have their advantages and their drawbacks depending on who you're asking and what type of environment you're trying to create.

Meredith Dunham