From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 00:54:39 -0400
Terri, I'm afraid I'm going to have to differ with you.  Orphaned formats
are a huge problem both in digital and analog media.  For example: the 8
inch floppy, the 2" videotape, the magnetic belts once used to record
certain court proceedings, various odd formats/aspect ratios of film (the
original 68mm Mutoscope format, Lumiere's 75mm, Pathe & Pathe Baby,
Edison's Home Kinetoscope . . .).  The only reason we don't have too many
digital orphans yet is that digital formats are too new.  Also, what about
the huge amounts of streaming video and audio that is broadcast live 24
hours a day?  When homecamming replaces home video/amateur film, what's
going to be around for historians 25 years later to study?

For those really interested in this issue, I would recommend asking to tour
some of the labs and vaults of NARA II or LoC.  It is a truly educational
experience--and it changed my attitudes towards technology.

Also, I would like to correct David's use of the phrase the "film
industry's problems were due to . . ." Films are still very much in danger
because nobody sees the need to make decent archival copies of first run
films.  As soon as a film is projected in your average commercial theatre,
it is damaged beyond repair.  I recently went to Washington and was
appalled at the condition (scratches on both base and emulsion, jerking,
chemical spots) of the Kirostami films shown at the National Gallery.
There is one distributor for Kirostami's films outside of Iran because of
the laws there, and that distributor won't take the time to make and market
decent copies.  Furthermore, SO much film is degrading in people's attics,
or in movie theatre back rooms.

I'm sorry I've spent the past two days on a soapbox, but film preservation
is really, really important to me, and I really want to see more museums
understand and care about it.

Kathy Mancuso
USC Orphanistas (friends of orphan film)