From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:40:43 -0400
Good Morning All,
I have read with interest the advice that has been given on this subject, and
I would like to add this thread.
Please note that I have served on several dozens of museum position search
and interview commitees.  I have hired museum directors, curators, managers
and numerous support staff, including facility maintenance and clerical
workers.  I have conducted hundreds of interviews.  The single most important
advice I can give -- on this thread -- is that the applicant must carefully look
at the Job Description (JD) for the position.  Quite often the basis for the
questions that used in the interview, relate directly to the key roles and
responsibilities (KRRs), that are listed in the job description.  It has been my
30+ year experince that most candidates never take the time to carefully
examine the offical vacancy announcement and Job Description for clues as to
what the interview will cover.  100% of the time, my interview questions are
directly related to the JD's KRRs.  I even tell the candidates that the
questions will come from the Job Description's KRRs....and they still don't take
the clue!
Here is the clue.  Interview committees have to find the best candidate that
can do the job, as described in the Job Description.  If the candidate doesn't
have the knowledge and experience to handle the specific KRRs in the Job
Description, then the search committee cannot recommend that candidate for
that job.....no matter how many degrees, internships, or other (non-specific
to the JD) job experiences and skills the candidate has.....
I hope this helps,
Best Wishes,
Wesley
p.s  The applicant's cover letter and resume should also exploit this clue!
p.p.s.  I know may sound overly simplistic, but it is true.
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, TN