From:
Elisa Lanzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:39:58 -0400
WANTED:  EXAMPLES OF VOCABULARY USE ON THE WEB

I am building an educational website called "Introduction to
Vocabularies:  A Guide to Enhancing Access to Cultural Heritage
Information."  The site is being designed as an online workshop and its
purpose is to demonstrate the benefits of using controlled vocabularies
in both documentation/cataloging contexts and search engine interfaces.
I am working on this project as a consultant for the Getty Information
Institute's Vocabulary Program.

One of the most convincing ways to demonstrate these points is to show
"Examples of Good Practice."  I have designed a section called
"Improving Access: Theory into Practice," which is a compendium of links
to other websites.   I have a number of examples but I know there's more
out there.  I would appreciate any suggestions for the following types
of sites:   (NOTE: please reply directly to me, not this list)

1. Does the site show cataloging records for museum objects, archival
materials, library materials, or visual resources? If so, does the site
show terms used from controlled vocabularies,  especially AAT, ULAN,
combinations of AAT and LSCH, ICONCLASS, etc.?  For example:
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus

2. Does the site use a controlled vocabulary to assist searchers with a
query? This could be as simple as providing a list of terms on the
search page OR using the vocabulary behind the scenes in the search
interface. For example:  http://www.ahip.getty.edu

3. Does the site mention the use of a vocabulary and send you off the
web (e.g. telnet) to see actual records? That's fine, I'd still like to
know about it.
For example: http://www.nal.vam.ac.uk/nalaat.html

4. Is the site a Vocabulary Browser?
For example:  http://www.gii.getty.edu/ulan_browser

5. Does the site show use of multilingual vocabularies?
For example:  http://www.chin.gc.ca/National/HSNI/e_sample.html

6. Does the site show how controlled vocabularies are available and used
in a vendor system? For example, a collection management system, library
OPAC, etc.?

7. Does the site show use of controlled vocabularies in an image
database?
For example:  http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/hsc/database.html

Well, you get the picture -- I'm interested in just about any use of
controlled vocabularies on the Web. The results of this query will be
included in the "Introduction to Vocabularies..." website, available
later this year.
Many thanks for your help.
--
Elisa Lanzi