From:
"Hank T. Foreman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:44:54 -0500
Hi Folks,

I saw the hush puppy question and had to jump into the discussion.  I am
enjoying this discussion as it relates to the exhibition we are currently
hosting  "Betty Bivens Edwards: Postmodern Potluck."  The show includes a
large number of monotypes displaying southern foods (as representations of
the women who prepared them) and eight huge "quilts" depicting the role of
food and women in southern culture.

A hush puppy is a fried "drop batter" of corn meal (yellow) and often
contains a bit of onion.  My granny always told me that they were called
hush puppies because ....one day some folks were cooking up a batch of
these tasty morsels with their meal and the hungry hunting dogs just kept
yelping.  Finally in desperation, one of the aformentioned good folks threw
one of the little morsels at the dog and yelled "hush puppy."

Even if this story is not grounded in truth, it reminds me that my very
southern Nana always explained things to me and my multi-named cousins in
such ways to make the world a more magical place.  As has been said,  what
is history but a fable agreed upon.
Drop in for sweet tea on the veranda anytime!

(:  Hank  :)
Hank T. Foreman, Acting Director
Catherine J. Smith Gallery
Box 32057