From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:01:43 -0500
By "tripartite", I assume you mean the three-layer label. Beverly Serrell,
with whom I agree in almost every other particular re:labels, hates them. I
really like them, BUT

The title has to be short and eye-catching (for the streakers)
The next stage has to convey, as succinctly as possible, the main message of
the artifact or exhibit (for the strollers)
The third stage, while somewhat longer than the second, should not be too
long (for the residue).

Also, it is critical, especially in a history museum, for visitor to have a
strong sense of where they are in time in space, hence the need to augment
these with large eye-level text panels to do this.

We did a lot of experimenting at the Canadian Museum of Civilization before
we "got it right" but it was VERY effective when we did. We also
experimented with attaching a backlit miniature copy of an historic painting
to further illustrate the exhibit, in some cases. I wish we had done more!

I never used to be interested all that much in labels, until I hit one
Australian museum with its 10 point Times Roman, black on dark royal blue.
Now I give workshops on improving signage and labels!!!

Harry

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you
are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup"

Harry Needham
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]