From:
Heather McClenahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:50:05 -0600
Hi Carol,
    I worked on one of the first newspapers on the web, the Tampa
Tribune, back in the early 90s. I did everything I could to keep ads
off the web front page because, to me, it was akin to putting ads on
the front of the paper. Back in the day, that was a no-no. It's not
any more, partially promoted by the web.
    Think of your website as an extension of your museum. It is often
the first face the public sees. Do you put banners up with exhibit
sponsors on the front of your museum? That could be similar to an ad
on your webpage, depending of course, on what the advertisement is.
Going further, would you put ads on your exhibits? You have to answer
some organizational questions and develop your guidelines accordingly.
I.e., just how much of the museum is "for sale."
    (Some of us still think of it as how much of your soul is for sale...)
    Good luck,
Heather McClenahan, assistant museum director
Los Alamos Historical Society
http://www.losalamoshistory.org
PO Box 43
1050 Bathtub Row