From:
Amanda Asmus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:57:18 -0800
Hi Kimberly,

I got to thinking about your Clewell pottery piece and the story of
how it came to your collection. It would be interesting to know if it
was displayed at the Pan American Buffalo Exhibition which I believe
was at the same time of McKinley's second inauguration it could have
been copied from other Art pottery pieces there. To me it looks like a
Japanese vernacular piece with the flowing glaze that was used in
Satsuma works that were brought over to the US as export goods.  Thank
you for sharing your piece, I see that you are already credited as a
repository for Clewell, yet I don't have any suggestions of where you
could find collections thats have Clewell pieces, you might check
Cooper Hewitt guide books or contact Jennifer Goldsborough, who knows
a great deal about American Art Pottery and conducts an excellent
survey of Ceramics. Happy hunting.

Best,
Amanda