From:
Joann Resnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:48:30 -0500
Dear Museum Professional,

I am currently conducting thesis research on the nature of member giving for the
Master’s in Museum Studies program at Harvard University. I am seeking
participants for an online survey, designed to be taken by Development or
Membership Professionals at US museums, that gathers aggregate data on actual
member giving. The results of the survey and the overall results of my thesis
will be made available to anyone who is interested.

My research addresses questions such as: Why do a museum’s members become
members? For discounts? Philanthropy? What type of member donates to a museum’s
annual fund? Can larger trends in member giving be seen across museums of
different type, size and geographic location? It is my hope that this research
will shed light on more effective ways to segment membership in order to run
more profitable annual fund drives.

You can access the survey here:
http://poll.icommons.harvard.edu/poll/taker/pollTakerOpen.jsp?poll=1-3843-60634

While the survey is designed to be taken by museum development or membership
professionals, it is extremely difficult to get direct access to a broad
listserv read only by people in museum development or membership roles. If you
are not such a person but believe that the results of the survey may benefit
your or your colleague’s museum, would you be so kind as to forward this
request to the person at the museum who fills either of those roles?

If you have any questions, you may contact me directly at
[log in to unmask] Thank you in advance for your time and consideration
of this request. Your input is invaluable and will contribute to more accurate
research.

Sincerely,
Joann Resnick