From:
Richard Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:23:02 -0800
The interpretation of everyday culture is a fascinating problem in
American history museums.  Many places want to talk about significant
biographical figures, but have only artifacts representative of the
quotidian context for these great people (mostly men).  This is
especially problematic in historic house museums.  Other gallery
installations, responding to currents of interest in social history, aim
to survey changing patterns of everyday life, but their linear
presentational format forces them to overstress milestones.  I think the
best thinking about this has gone on in the larger outdoor history
museums and living historical farms, where there has been a need to
define the boundaries of the presentation of the "ordinary."

Richard Rabinowitz
American History Workshop