From:
Robert Guralnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 13:07:20 PST
        Hi all ---

        Although I do not know the full details about whether or not
Sun Microsystems is donating money to various charities, I did
just read an article in the San Francisco Chronicle that confirms
that a Web site does exist for children and adults alike called
something like Santa's village and that there is a mechanism within
this Web site (via forms) to send an email message to Santa.
The article also commented that Sun was donating money to charities
and that they were planning to donate a maximum of $25,000.
Supposedly the amount they would donate would depend on the
number of messages received via the email form on the Web site.
I would be willing to give a more complete paraphrase of the article
if people are interested.  So, I do think that direct email (not
through the Web) is not going to work, and that person who
designed the hoax should get coal in his or her stocking.  Kudos
to Sun and other involved in the creation of what I understand is
a very nice Web site and a very thoughtful idea.

Cheers,
Robert Guralnick   | Museum of Paleontology   | University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 | [log in to unmask] | (510) 642-9696