Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:18:44 +0100
For my lectures "Texts in Museums" I use the MMA Standard Manual for Signs.
I was sent to me by the Metropolitan Museum. When I visited this museum in
1994 the manual was still under preparation. Later, I received a draft
version, dated 1993, but according to my information it was published for a
broader audience late 1994.
Content:
- Signs and Labels Used in the MET
- Characteristics of Accessible Signs and Labels: Checklist
- Standards for Legibility
1. Type Size
2. Typeface
3. Character Proportion
4. Letter and Line Spacing
5. Color Contrast
6. Medium
7. Installation
8. Lighting
- Guidelines for Comprehension: A Checklist
- Production Sequence
- Glossary of Signs and Labels

Of course I am willing to sent a copy to those who are interested, but I
cannot believe that it is not available in the MET. For those who want a
copy, please first check the MET again. BTW I am not at the Reinwardt the
coming week. I'll attend the ICOM Marketing & Public Relations annual
conference in Washington and New York. This gives me the possibility to find
out if the MET published a new edition of their solid manual.
Jan Sas
Senior Lecturer Museum Communications and Visitor Studies
Reinwardt Academy
315, Dapperstraat
NL-1093 BS Amsterdam
The Netherlands