From:
Kristina Kiper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:37:47 -0700
They may possibly be connected to the WPA works of the
depression era. The dates of 1936 make me think they
might be. If this is a possiblity you might want to
check out the national archives which have info on the
artists who were associated with WPA projects, like
the post office murals in Pittsburgh, PA.

Also if the school actually commissioned and paid for
the murals there may be some financial information in
the annual bugets for the school district. Possibly
even more info if the school had to get approval for
the project from a board of regents or a district
employee.

Finally, you may want to go to a local library and see
if you can pull newspapers from that era. If it is the
only or the largest elemetary school in the area, a
local newpaper may have done a story or two on the
project or the artists. This might even have better
dates for you and the name of the pieces.

Best of luck in finding info on the artists and
pieces.

--- Amy Phillips-Iversen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am working on a project regarding the conservation
> of a very large mural by Walter Pyle, Jr. and Edward
> Grant (c. 1936) and paintings by Stafford Good
> (c.1936). These originally were commissioned pieces
> for an elementary school in Smyrna, Delaware. I do
> not know the exact titles of the pieces. I was
> hoping to glean any information about the artists
> from the list serve group. If anyone has information
> or can direct me to appropriate resources, please
> respond to my email address. Many thanks.
>
> Amy

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Kris Kiper