From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:36:48 -0500
Lois:

RE:  teacher led tours as opposed to docent led tours

What educators at Lincoln Park Zoo have seen is that some/many but not all
teachers miss a lot even with pre-post visit materials.  Docents have ended
up joining the tours anyway to help teachers out or divide the class into
smaller, more meaningful groups (6 students) because the teacher didn't get
enough chaperones.

What HAS helped teachers most significantly, is to insist that teachers
attend a "teacher workshop" on a Saturday -- Lincoln Park Zoo has some of
varied lengths, depending on the content.  Teachers attend the workshop and
learn HOW to use the zoo as a resource, HOW to lead a tour, HOW to maximize
their visit.  If the zoo has grant funds available, then, for attending the
workshop (fee-based), teachers get a free bus to bring their class to the
zoo.
Pre-Post visit activities are provided and discusses during the teacher
workshop / extension activities / evaluation rubrics as well.

Good luck!

Terrie
Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.