From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:41:15 -0500
I don't know if there was ever specific policy on these issues, but at two

1. If you were on company time at company expense you had to turn the money
over, and as another poster menioned, you get credit for time work in
whatever system you have worked out.  If you were on your own time (i.e.
evenings or weekends) you could keep the money.  The point being, you should
be paid but you can't "double dip."

2. There was also the issue of what you are lecturing about. Are you
lecturing on the museum and its programs or is it a content lecture on a
topic on which you are an "expert." We kept the money for the latter,
assuming it was on our own time. Being paid for the former is a rarity.
People rarely pay you to promote yourself.  What you get more often is a
travel stipend or a meal or meal vouchers.  In this case we almost always
kept it.  I guess we should have turned it over to the museum, but then we
would have just requested the money right back to reimburse ourselves for
work related expenses.  Keeping it just cut out the bureaucratic
middle-person. But then no paper trail was kept of the expenses so maybe
that wasn't good.

The only time I have ever heard of someone running afoul on this issue is
when they participated in something on company time at company expense and
still kept the stipend.

For what's worth on company time,

Matthew White
Executive Director