From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:18:21 -0700
Grants are distributed in proportion to the number of museums applying in
various sizes and categories. The percentage of awards to any single size
or type of museum is related to the percentage of applications received
from that category. Therefore, if lots of really large history museums
apply, compared to small ones, there will be more awards at the higher
levels.

Actually, when you look at the distribution of awards, the range of awards
in the history museum category is much more broadly distributed that in
most others: 10 at the maximum amount ($112,500), 8 above $50K, 8 between
$25K&$49K, and 9 below $25k. The historic house distribution is very
similar. In many of the categories, there were no awards below $50,000.
[For those unfamiliar with the program, the award amount is based upon
institutional budget.]

You say there are so many great, small museums. Did they apply for an
IMLS-GOS grant? I know that when our museum was smaller, we didn't always
have the resources to apply every year.

As far as East-West distribution goes... If the Mississippi River marks the
boundary between east and west, then there were 117 awards in the east and
69 in the west. Are there more museums in the east? I don't know. I'm just
about certain that there are more museums in Massachusetts that in the
greater San Francisco Bay Area (a region of about the same size).

The museums on the award list that I am familiar with are all exemplary.
(Yes, The Tech is there -- for the first time -- and we worked very hard to
get there!) There are many wonderful museums of various sizes that are not
on the list. Some received a grant last year, or are sitting out a round --
per the rules. Some don't bother to apply. Some probably applied and didn't
get funded, because the money ran out. There are *lots* of great museums in
this country.

If you applied and didn't get funded this year. Read the reviewers
comments, discuss them with your board, staff and volunteers. Look at what
you can do to improve. And, apply again. The application form is a great
tool for self assessment.

If you haven't applied. Look over the application. Talk to museums of your
size and type that have received grants. Call IMLS and ask for samples, to
see what successful applications look like. Even if you are not sure you
are ready to apply, it can be useful to go through the process to see how
your peers see what you do. (Applications are reviewed by museum
professionals who have experience in your size and type of museums.) You
won't know who reviewed your application, but you will see their comments.

Whether or not you get funding, the process can be useful for reviewing
your operations and improving your institution.

Also, if you have been in the museum field for at least five years, you may
be qualified to be a reviewer. Ask IMLS for an application. This is a great
way to learn more about the process, see what other museums are doing, and
help support our field.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Grants and Research Manager                  (408) 279-7178
The Tech Museum of Innovation                (408) 918-0253 fax
201 South Market Street                       [log in to unmask]
San Jose, California  95113                   http://www.thetech.org