From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 14:49:04 -0500
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Rachel Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do you suggest a way that applicants can address the issue of "wired"
> job announcements without causing offense?

In the Fed world and I assume in State and local government, anything
that is advertised for less than a month is usually wired. Jobs have
to be advertised if the position classification, pay grade, or duties
significantly change. Also if the person is going from temp to perm,
the job is usually advertised for a couple of weeks. I've also gotten
to the selection committee and then have the job mysteriously
disappear, probably because the person for whom it was selected didn't
make the cut and they needed to readvertise the job again for that
person.

You can always use your network and covertly ask around to see if that
job is wired or not. Even an innocent, "Hey, I'm interested in X job.
Can someone tell me something about it?" might get you an honest
response from an insider who will tell you if it is wired (off the
record). I've been severely tempted to just ask flat out in
interviews, "So, is this job wired? If so, I'll just save you all the
time. Mark me down as interviewed and we'll go on our merry ways." I
haven't yet but some day, I just might.  :)

Deb Fuller