From:
Janis Beth Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:31:41 -0500
Ann Harlow wrote:

> I only got one comment on the role of the director versus the curator in
> screening art works.  Not only do I have plenty of other things to occupy
> my time, it just doesn't seem quite right to interfere.  What do others
> think?

I think the director has to have the last word, as he or she is
ultimately resonsible for the museum; but once the decisions have been
made and the exhibit is open, a good director will stand behind those
decisions and support the curator.

Incidentally, I think it's a serious mistake for a museum to even
*think* about removing objects from exhibit because of a few
complaints.  This is letting the minority (of people who are offended
enough to tell you so) dictate to the majority, who may appreciate the
works and who have the right to see everything has been included in the
exhibit.

--
Janis Beth Wilkens
Curator of Collections