From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:21:38 -0600
I have been involved in various aspect of museum work, even before
I officially started working in museums.   I use to volunteer at a
Historical
Society where I also purchased books and gifts, and even donated money
to the society.   When family or company came into town, I would take them
over to the society to let them learn about the history of my community and
state.  A museum or society is a GREAT place to show your town's history!

 Recently, now that I'm unemployed, I've noticed various positions opening
up
at the same places I volunteered, purchased things and donated money.
However, five or six months later -- the jobs have closed and not a word
back
from them.

 I wonder if such organizations who fail to send out notice that the
position(s)
have been filled, realize they are upsetting past and possible future donors
and
volunteer workers?  This relates to public relations and  fundraising too.

 Do you think I'm ever going to send another check for $500 or also have an
employer match my volunteer hours with a check donation to that historical
society again?  And when visiting guests come into town....do you think I
would take them to that museum or historical society?   Or if a person does
carry a grudge, would they purchase books and gifts from your museum's store
or come to your events?

Well  ~~ I'm really not that way!!  But I know with the way the economy is,
I would respect and appreciate those folks who apply because they are REALLY
interested in your organization.  They are future stakeholders!  Show them
the professional couresty of letting them know that the job was  filled ---
it will pay off in the long run.  It is worth the 34-cent stamp!   For those
who apply, I would also include them on the membership list for a short
while...and send them out a newsletter.  It is just good PR.

A rule of thumb I have in the hiring process:  I make sure that I send out a
letter of appreciation to EVERY ONE who applied for a position.  And,
yes, I am happy to answer phone calls when applicants call, and ask about
the process.  Why would I black list them or round-file their resume simply
because they care enough about the position to call and want to know how
the process is coming along?  It let's me know they are interested.

John