From:
Jim Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 04:40:07 -0400
It's very difficult to answer this question: £22,191 ($34,448) is not a bad
starting salary for this area which is in the East Midlands of the UK. The
salary rises to £33,679 ($52,282)dependent on qualifications and experience.

On our website Jobs Desk, http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/jobs/job_titles_jobid.htm
we have 338 current jobs from USA, UK Canada and Europe. In general, USA
jobs do not state a salary, so it's difficult to make any comparisons. What
I have managed to turn up are the following:

Research Assistant, Calder Foundation, NY, NY: $24,000

Director, 1812 Homestead Education Foundation, Wilsboro' NY: $16,800-
$21,600. (I know this is not NYC.)

Executive Director, Tioga County Historical Society, Owega NY: $30,000
(also not NYC)

Admin Co-ordinator, Archives of Women in Theological Scholarship, NY, NY:
$12.00/hour

Leicester is in the East Midlands of the UK, so salaries are not the same
as London (usually £3,000 is added to salaries as 'London weighting'). The
University is situated in a very pleasant leafy area and the Department of
Museum Studies is housed in 3 Victorian Houses a few hundred yards off the
main campus.

The Department comprises 9 academic staff (among whom are Professor Susan
Pearce, Professor Eilean Hooper-Greenhill, Director of research, Dr Simon
Knell, Director and HOD), 6 support staff, and a Research Centre (RCMG)
with a number of Research Assistants.

For more information see, http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/ and if there is anything
else I can tell you, please email me: [log in to unmask]

Jim Roberts
Webmaster