From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:37:44 -0500
Well, our board decided that we should not broker sales, or take a
percentage of sales engendered by exhibitions, because they felt (and I
agree) that it could result in a conflict of interest.  We are a non-profit
educational institution.  We feel that we should choose exhibitions based
solely on quality, not based on whether we can make a profit from the sales
of the artwork in them.  Which is not to say good stuff doesn't sell, but
that we shouldn't allow the market to determine what we do.  It's a slippery
slope we choose not to walk on.  I do not want to have to make exhibition
schedule decisions based on whether people in my small semi-rural town will
be inclined to purchase works from the show, or even be able to.  It would
really detract from our reputation and the quality of our exhibition
schedule, in my opinion.  There are some perfectly good local/regional
artists who sell, sell, sell, but we wouldn't be serving our community by
showing the same four artists year-in and year-out.  My own policy (more or
less unofficial) is that we don't show the same artist twice in less than
ten years.

That said, we do have an annual silent auction which features a three-day
exhibition of works donated to be auctioned off for the museum's benefit.
These tend to be local artists in a rather affordable price range.  Our
patrons get to know the work of local artists, and these artists are people
willing to trade an artwork for the tax write-off (however minimal) and the
exposure.  Our official museum exhibition schedule, however, is blessedly
free from the market's whims.

I do *not* have a huge exhibition budget, and all of it does go to art
exhibitions. We simply choose exhibitions we can afford, and a small
honorarium is part of the expense.  Perhaps exploiting artists would provide
our audience with "the best and broadest" experience, but I believe we
should strike a balance between serving the visitor and treating artists as
professionals.  Frankly, I resent being called "short-sighted" for operating
in this manner.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441
(601) 649-6374
www.LRMA.org
[log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]