From:
"McManus,Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:28:12 +1200
The exchange rate is irrelevant when comparing salaries in different
countries unless you plan to actually exchange your currency. In terms of
cost of living it is apples for apples - i.e. US$40,000 buys roughly the
same in the US as NZ or AU $40,000 buys in those respective countries,
although I accept the comments from others about regional differences in the
US which is probably true of other countries to a greater or lesser extent.
It is safe to say, however, that our Marketing & Development Officer would
much rather have the standard of living that her NZ$40,000 buys her here
than what US$18,000 could buy her in rural Wisconsin or anywhere else for
that matter.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you don't think NZ could pay
its staff too much unless you refer to the exchange rate (which is a
misleading argument for the reason above)?? NZ museum salaries are generally
very good compared to what I see in Aviso or the Museums Australia Jobsheet,
which I guess explains why so many US and Australian museum workers apply
(and frequently get) good jobs here.

I didn't mean to start a big discussion, just my initial reaction to the
salary offered for the job described prompted my question. I guess the job
title was misleading also - not knowing anything about the museum or the
location, the title Development Director implied to me that the museum was
perhaps a lot bigger than it actually is and the person requirements in
terms of experience and qualifications likewise suggested a position of
greater worth than was offered.

Anyway, an interesting conversation and thanks for those who replied offlist
with your experiences and opinions.

Greg

Greg McManus
Director