Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:24:04 +0000
> Coming back to the Wiki idea and to all I know about
> it: this
> encyclopaedia exists in quite some languages. Not
> all Wiki language
> levels contain the same content! Authors of the Wiki
> are scientists,
> teachers etc. But up to my personal knowledge no
> correction or article
> is to be published here without critical examination
> of a competent
> editorial board. This is the secret why they need a
> lot of money to
> exist and why more and more people trust on wiki
> contents. It is not
> because of the useful original contributions...

With the greatest respect Dr. Müller-Straten you are
mistaken. Wiki's (of which there are very large
numbers) are simply web servers that allow anyone to
edit their pages. A small number restrict editing to
registered users, but this really goes against the
principals of Wikis.

Your reference to Wiki encyclopedia's I'm guessing
refers mainly to http://www.wikipedia.org, although
there are also other wiki based encyclopedias.

Wikipedia is a non profit organisation, and has no
editorial board. All pages are editable by anyone, and
all contributions can be from anyone. They *do* have
people known as 'administrators' who have permission
to revert changes to pages, for example to remove
inappropriate additions or mediate in disputes.

*Anyone* can become a Wikipedia administrator, you
just have to have been 'an active Wikipedia
contributor for a while' and be a 'generally a known
and trusted member of the community'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators

Administrators are all volunteers, they are not paid,
and they most certainly cannot be described as an
'editorial board'. The money to run Wikipedia mostly
goes towards bandwidth, server hosting and hardware.

Despite all this, or more likely because of it,
Wikipedia was recently tested by the science journal
Nature, and found to be about as accurate as
Encyclopedia Britannica

Jeremy.