From:
Allison Pultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:12:42 -0400
Dear List members,

I want to take this opportunity to introduce all of you to the American
Committee for St. Petersburg 2003 and to the St. Petersburg Tercentenary
Coalition, with the hope that other arts and culture organizations and
institutions may want to be involved in our efforts.

In 2003 St. Petersburg, Russia will be marking the 300th anniversary of its
founding by Peter the Great. The American Committee for St. Petersburg 2003,
a partnership of cultural and business leaders, is a catalyst and
facilitator of the US participation in St. Petersburg’s Tercentenary
celebration. The American Committee first came together in 1993, and in 1995
it was formally recognized as St. Petersburg’s official US partner for the
celebration.

Since its inception, the American Committee has taken the following as its
mission:
*  To support the renewal of Russian culture and artistic creativity
*  To represent American culture in St. Petersburg (a role that has been
virtually abandoned by the US Government) encouraging an exchange of people,
ideas and programs between US and Russian arts organizations
*  To advocate for St. Petersburg and its redevelopment needs here in the US

On July 22, 1999 William H. Luers, Chairman of the Committee and President
of the United Nations Association, hosted a meeting at his offices in NYC
for cultural organizations with an interest in St. Petersburg, Russia. The
number of exhibitions, performances and other cultural projects that are
planned is astounding.  An agreement was made among the organizations
present to formulate a networked but loose coalition of arts and culture
organizations, tentatively called the “St. Petersburg Tercentenary
 Coalition”.  The Coalition will serve as a vital forum for the exchange of
information, effective collaboration and also as a means to enlarge the
impact of each organization’s individual efforts. Being part of a broader
U.S. effort to organize cultural projects with St. Petersburg may also
strenghten fundraising and pr potential.

This “St. Petersburg Tercentenary Coalition” will be networked via an e-mail
listserv, an electronic newsletter and perhaps a bulliten board on the
Committee’s website (currently housed on CEC International Partners' website
at <http://www.cecip.org/>). Slightly more ambitious is a dynamic and
constantly updated on-line inventory of cultural projects involving St.
Petersburg, that organizations can post and update themselves. We hope that
these tools will be in place and in use in the next few months.
Another step towards building a strong American effort for St. Petersburg
2003 is reaching out to new organizations.  In the past, the Committee’s
efforts have been somewhat confined to the NorthEast.  We hope to widen the
base of activity and membership within the Tercentenary Coalition to be more
representative of all our country’s cultural projects with St. Petersburg.
We would love to hear from other arts and culture organizations across the
U.S. working with or in St. Petersburg, Russia, and who might be interested
in being a part of a St. Petersburg Tercentenary Coaltion.  Please write to
me at [log in to unmask] to add your organization to a growing membership in
the Coalition or to learn more about the American Committee for St.
Petersburg 2003.
We hope to hear from you soon!

Allison Pultz

Museum-L" (without the quotes).