From:
Patricia Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:29:51 +1000
Thank you to those people who have responded on the list and off it, with
comments about the benefits of websites.

Karin's comments were fascinating. It seems on the web a museum can have a
more significant presence than it has had to date physically.

In Canberra so far, I'm finding most benefit is seen by those museums which
have large collections, which they then make available to a wider public,
usually for research purposes.  In Canberra we have many National
institutions such as the National Library of Australia which are developing
new products. Some of these are extending audiences, and addressing wider
groups of people. See, for example, http://www.pictureaustralia.org/ which
was launched on June 6.

I am interested in the ways websites can extend the on site presence and
develop new audiences, even without substantial collections. I think that
means engaging visitors in events and related content. Has anyone tried this
systematically?

Thank you for the contacts I've made. I'm enjoying being on this list.

Patricia.

> Dr. Patricia Gillard
> User Insite Pty Ltd
> Canberra, ACT
> Australia

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
> one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the

> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Dr. Patricia Gillard
User Insite Pty Ltd
Mobile 0408 332 941