From:
Jennifer Gayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:44:38 -0400
Just to reiterate what has already been said, it would be very
difficult for an American to get a position at a British museum.
There is no real problem getting a degree there, but work is next to
impossible.  I did my master's degree at the University of Newcastle
upon Tyne, and there are still British people from my course  who
haven't been able to get jobs, and it is two years after the fact,
and they don't have the problem of a work permit.  It is even
difficult to find volunteer positions - an internship was part of the
course requirements, and several people on the course had a hard time
finding someone who would let them work for free.  If you really want
to experience the British museum world, and haven't already gotten
your degree, I would recommend investigating a program (Newcastle has
a good masters program, as do Leicester and St. Andrews - all very
different styles though, so do your research), and then plan to
return home to work.

Jennifer Gayman
Collections Consultant
Baltimore, Maryland