From:
Aaron Beebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:33:43 -0400
Hey Chris,

This is a very interesting topic to me.  It seems like a kind or Rorschach
test for this community.  Everyone has their own experiences, some good,
some bad.
If you're comfortable talking about it, can you give us a little more
information about your situation?  How big is this museum?  how many staff,
how many volunteers.  Do you know anything about their financial situation
or how they're structured?

I'm very curious about it now.  I was in a similar situation, but the museum
is SO small that the only recourse was to ask them to let me raise the money
for my own salary.  Now I'm on staff full-time and making decisions about
the future of the institution.  The lack of staff can be a rare opportunity
if you can get involved with the inner workings of the institution.  On the
other hand, if I had been looking for a simple one-way salary transaction, a
"you pay me and I'll work until I'm done with my day" situation, I would
have gone to a bigger institution.  So my experience is with organizations
that are so far down at the bottom end of the size chart that one person can
be an enormous part of their annual budget.

But that's me.  What's your situation?

Aaron
Aaron Beebe
Curator