From:
Jane Sarre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:51:36 -0000
I have wondered for some time if there isn't room for another, intermediate,
category of ownership. Given that museums exist to hold objects for ever &
thus remove them in some ways from the material(ist) world, it ought to be
possible for us to use anotherform of intellectual categorisation....

What I imagine is something that maintains the legal ownership of an object
in the museum but also allows for a form of intellectual/moral ownership of
the object by representatives of the originating group - much in the way as
you could own a painting but the artist still retain copyright over the
image.

In this way the 'home' culture could be acknowledged in any literature and
advise on the interpretation and care of the artefacts. The object would
then be jointly managed by the museum who wants to store it for ever and
interpret it to the public and originating culture who may wish to see it
treated respectfully and in accordance with their own values and practices.

Obviously there might be problems if the two were in contradiction (which
reminds me of the Japanese business man who bought some Van Gogh flowers and
said he wanted them cremated with him.... but that's another story!) - but
could it not be a useful principle to inform practice?