From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 10:57:28 -0600
CCI Note 13/12 on the Storage for Costume Accessories says;

Fans
Ideally, both rigid and folding fans should be laid on supports of
polyethylene foam cushioning (2cm thick) cut 5 cm larger all around than
the fan.  Open folding fans enough to show the decoration without
placing strain on the ribs.  Very fragile fans should be protected and
supported in a form made of polyethylene foam cushioning [here the
article references a diagram showing an open folding fan, supported on
essentially a fan made of Ethafoam where each section of Ethafoam
supports a section of the fan].  In the absence of rigid support
material, lay fans on polypropylene foam or on sheets of acid-free
tissue paper.  If the fan must be moved, lift it by the support.

We have several silk, feather, and celluloid fans in our collection; we
have them laid open, in fan-shaped depressions (cut with a fair margin
larger than the fan itself) carved out of 2" Ethafoam, lined with
acid-free tissue, with a sheet of Mylar pinned to the Ethafoam to be a
barrier for dust.  The Ethafoam cells are housed in drawers that keep
out excessive light.  We don't have any fans that we've tried the
"fan-shaped Ethafoam mount" on.

Cheers

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

Our institution recently acquired a collection of both folding and
flat
fans.  Some of these date back to the 1800's and are very fragile.
The
fans are made from various materials, including mother of pearl,
celluloid, feathers, paper, and silk.  I was wondering the best way to
store these fans.  Some of the paper fans are very fragile and I am
afraid
they will tear further if they are unfolded.  However, the silk and
other
fabric fans are in good condition and can stand to be opened.  Also,
the
feathered fans are in various conditions ranging from good to poor.
On
the fans in poor condition some of the feathers are missing and
broken.
One of the fans is held together with florist wire.  If there are any
suggestions on how this collection could be better cared for, they
would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rachel Foster

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies