Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:54:29 -0500
Museum list readers I need your opinions.

I'm a graduate student at Tufts university researching the issues of
Nazi loot. This is a dificult question for everyone involved and I am
hoping to look at ways to resolve this issue and prevent other problems
from happening. I have two questions and would like to hear from as many
people as possible on this issue.

My first question is about resolution. What do you in the U.S. museum
community think is the best way to resolve this issue with as much
fairness as possible. In the broad sense, what governing body should be
overseeing these issues and making decisions on who owns the art? Court
System? International arbitration commitee? Some other body?

 In the more individual sense, are their different ways of dealing with
compensation rather than taking it out of the public domain.( And how
would these negotiations be handled ?) Joint ownership? Financial
compensation in leu of reparation? Other ideas?

My second question is how the museum community can look to the future
>and try to prevent museums, either willingly or unwillingy, from
>becoming involved in issues of stolen art? Self governing body,stronger
>laws.?

Any additional thoughts will be welcome. I will not use anyone's name in
my paper without specific permission

Please reply to me off list at [log in to unmask]

Thank You
Victoria Cranner