From:
David Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2016 10:15:51 -0400
Sarah -

As is the case with Dave, I also have been in the field for awhile. I got my start at the Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming and I also teach classes on this subject (at the Campbell Center in Illinois - next one is in October) and talk about it at state/regional museum conferences. I have also consulted for some organizations regarding their firearms collections. However, I am NOT a trained Conservator as Dave Harvey is.

What Dave said - mostly.

I agree with the majority of what he said -
1. Firearms need to be verified as unloaded.
2. Ammunition should be separate from firearms.
3. Let your local FD do a walkthrough. (whether or not you have firearms)
4. You do not need to treat firearms any different than anything else in the collection.

Beyond this, keep in mind that firearms are inert objects - no different than typewriters, carpentry tools, or baby carriages. So long as they are not loaded, they do not need to be handled any differently than anything else in your collection. That said, I normally recommend a higher level of security simply because people like to steal firearms because people (mistakenly) believe they are all worth a fortune.

Storage of small arms ammunition (pistol and rifle cartridges) can be relatively simple. Padded storage drawers, test tubes, sectioned archival boxes - whatever works for you that keeps the ammunition stable (again - no different than anything else in collections). So long as you keep it out of fire, all is good.  Even then, standard turn-out gear for fire department personnel will protect against uncontained small arms rounds.

My one concern is your use of the word "munitions". It hints that you have something more than just pistol and rifle ammunition. If you have powder horns, flasks, or tins with black powder in them, I would recommend pouring them into a bucket of water, stirring, and then pouring in the yard. Black powder is simply potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal. Broken down, it is harmless. If contained, it is very stable, but very dangerous if exposed to fire.

If you have other items (grenades, large caliber shells, fused cannonballs, or other ordnance), I would recommend that you verify with local law enforcement that they are inert or otherwise inactivated.

One last recommendation is that staff members involved in the handling of firearms take a firearms safety class. If nothing else, this will at least get you familiarized with the subject and introduce you to safe handling.

Hope to see you at MPMA in OKC this October!

Dave Kennedy
(AKA - the other Firearms Dave)

(Cheers to the other Dave!)