From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 21:29:09 -0700
Hey, we have to believe in the good of one another.
After all, we're just poor, dedicated museums
professionals and/or afficianados, not cyber demons
from hell, LOL.

We're lucky, with the American-Chinese cyber wars of
the last month or so that there weren't more of these.

Glad you got it fixed.  Hopefully it didn't do
substantive damage.

I hope folks know you can't even be absolutely sure
about html encoded email.  Folks can put cgi script in
there that sends a copy to them of everything you send
so as to trace your interests.

Go ahead, some computer wizard like, er, ah, uh, whats
his name, oh yeah, Roy Hemmat (LOLOL, we're friends
cause he's so darned smart about these kinds of
things), and contradict me.

Anyway, Ellen, glad you're computer is doing better.
Maybe if you figure out who sent it to you, I should
send you my favorite cyber voodoo doll site.  You can
eviscerate the doll, name it, and email it to your
intended victim.  Anybody who creates these viruses
deserves at least that!

(Note:  It is not my intention to offend anyone's
religious precepts and, if you believe in voodoo,
trust me, it was not intended as an attack.)

--- "Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear Listers --
>
> I am SO sorry.
>
> Over the course of the last couple of weeks I went
> through a barrage of assaults from viruses and
> sneakthieves on the internet.  In removing programs
> that had inserted themselves onto my computer, NAV
> and McAfee both were inadvertently removed.
>
> It is possible that an attachment I received from
> this list in reference to my response to the WWI
> helmet query was the kak-worm that caused such
> havoc.  It is possible that despite my vigilance
> about unfamiliar attachments, it came from somewhere
> else.
>
> At any rate, I removed 4 viruses and 1 trojan and it
> took about 6 hours.  For those of you who sent me
> expressions of hostility, I am sorry to have put you
> through it, but I never intended to be the vector of
> such harm.  For those of you who sent warnings and
> anti-virus advice, thank you very very much.
>
> And IndigoNights -- a special thanks for your
> expressions of support and belief that it was all a
> horrible accident.
>
> Again, my apologies to one and all.
>
> Ellen B. Cutler
> Aberdeen, MD