From:
Randy Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:01:31 -0800
I had an interesting experience with cemetery records some years ago.

One of our museum members was researching the genealogy of a number of
people involved with our local history in the 19th century.  At the time I
was a volunteer, working in a nearby county.  She asked me if I could check
a cemetery plot to see who was buried with a local railroad official. she
provided a date of death and a cemetery. this was not the first such errand.

During my lunch I visited the cemetery. they had a small room set aside with
its burial registers... I found our gentleman, noted he was cremated, but no
burial plot was listed.  I requested some help from the gentleman in charge.
He assumed I didn't know what I was doing. then turned pale when he couldn't
find a disposition for the body, took my contact information (at work) and
promised a quick response.

I returned to the office late that afternoon to find our receptionist
holding a message which said "we found the body, it's in the basement".   He
had been cremated, but the family had never arraigned an internment, so he
had been stored in the basement for 90+ years.

The office receptionist assumed I had some secrete life as a crime solving
hero.  After all, I was notified when the body was found.

Randy Hees

Patterson House at Ardenwood Historic Farm

City of Fremont, CA