From:
Micki Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:49:16 -0800
This does not respond to your conservation question, but there are other
things to consider with tree saplings inside a museum. More years ago than I
care to count, when I was an anthro student, I created a California native
wikiup inside a museum, using local willow saplings, tule reed mats, and
twisted tule fibre rope to tie the sapling frame cross-pieces and tie the
mats to the frame.  This was strictly a low budget adventure, including
canoeing (modern canoe, not a tule reed raft) among the tule reeds to cut
and load tules for the mats. I was not a museology student yet, so was
oblivious to the bug realities, and had a lot of fun preparing this.
However, when the museum closed for the holidays the heat was left on, and
when I returned in January the wikiup lay on the floor like so much
kindling. The willow poles and the reeds shrank as they dried, and
everything slipped out of the ties. I cringe to think what was scurrying
around looking for food as the juicy willows became desiccated! I had dried
the reeds outside before making the mats, but the cool outdoor temperature
helped to preserve them, not dry them. Really, I've learned a LOT since
then!

Micki Ryan
Museum & Archival Services