From:
Jonathan Lathigee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:14:33 -0800
Laney,

You may wish to look at CHIN's 2004 Survey of Visitors to Museums'
Web Space and Physical Space. They looked at very similar questions.

online at:

http://www.chin.gc.ca/English/Digital_Content/2004Survey/index.html

And, offhand, I would disagree with the folks. As it's positioned,
our online collection database (ARTBase at
http://collection.aggv.bc.ca) has brought in artwork donations,
opened previously non-existent possibilities for licensing / rights &
repro, provided educational resources for teachers that are used and
available 24/7, off loaded some of the work created by researchers /
visiting curators, etc, and raised the international profile of our
institution.

And, ultimately, the online experience is a different beast than the
totemic, "real" experience. The 2 experiences should work together,
not at odds with each other.

cheers

/jonathan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~