From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:52:56 -0800
I was employed with Pittsburgh's original Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science during the 1980s and early 1990s. At the beginning of my employment, the operating hours for the general public (morning hours were often reserved for school groups) were--

Mon., Tue., Wed.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Thur., Fri.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
Sat.: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 to 10:00 p.m.
Sun: 1:00 to 10:00 p.m.

A little later the hours were changed to--

Mon., Tue., Wed.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Thur., Fri.:
1:00 to 9:30 p.m.
Sat.: 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Sun: 1:00 to 9:30 p.m.

In June of 1984, the hours changed to--

Mon., Tue., Wed., Thur, Fri., Sun.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Sat.: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

I always thought that a major science museum should have some evening hours. So, in June of 1986, I was successful in my efforts to lobby museum management to resume evening hours on Fridays, when the hours became--

Mon., Tue., Wed., Thur, Sun.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Fri.: 1:00 to 9:30 p.m.
Sat.: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

These public hours continued until Buhl Planetarium closed as a public museum on 1991 August 31. A newer Carnegie Science Center opened on 1991 October 4.

As I said, weekday mornings were often reserved for school groups, so the general public did not have to deal with crowds of young people, particularly during the very busy Spring school group tour season and the Autumn/Winter "Railroad Season."

During "Railroad Season," the four months of the year (November through February) when we displayed our extremely popular Miniature Railroad and Village exhibition, expanded operating hours were implemented--

Mon., Tue., Wed.:
1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Thur., Fri.:
1:00 to 9:30 p.m.
Sat.: 10:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Sun: 12:00 Noon to 9:30 p.m.

During the very busy Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday weeks, even greater expanded hours were implemented--

Mon., Tue., Wed., Thur., Fri., Sat.:
9:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Sun: 11:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

On other Monday holidays: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >