From:
Rachel Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:04:46 -0500
Ms. Fischer,

I want to first admit that I am not a conservator, but I can recommend a solvent to remove your photos.  The name of the solvent is UNDU and it is used liberally is scrap booking.  Basically you drip the UNDU onto the substance you need removed and you can use the attached scoop to help you gradually and carefully lift the photo off of the tape.  This may be somewhat difficult because you will have to drip the undo between the photo and the cardboard and onto the tape.  You should probably use this method on a "practice" non archival photo before you try the real thing.  I do know that when used gently it can be very effective, and that law enforcement agencies use it to separate duct tape from objects to expose fingerprints, as to the conservation risks I can't tell you.  Before you attempt this method you need to weigh your risks and concerns.  The  cardboard is obviously going to do considerable damage to your photos over time, however I do not know the long term risks of the solution I am offering, only that it works.  If anyone has knowledge of the risks associated with UNDU please offer them.  I would also recommend that you use a professional conservator instead of this method if funding is available.

Sincerely,
Rachel Barnett
Collection Assistant
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum