From:
Richard Durschlag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:48:43 GMT
Greetings Everyone!

I just wanted to add something before this thread, which has been fun, winds
down.  At our small historical museum we have among our permanent exhibits
one that is our representation of a Revolutionary War militia soldier and
one of the interior and exterior of an early settler's cabin from around the
1760s in our area (since most people are unfamiliar with the term, the
Waxhaws was the name in early America for the region south of Charlotte).
The latter exhibit was, for us, relative expensive and involved in the
preparation.  With each exhibit almost invariably the first thing children
or school groups want to do is feel the dirt on the raised floor of the
exhibit.  They also frequently ask us if it is "real dirt".  However, I do
think they then go on to look at the rest of the exhibit and get something
out of it.

Rich Durschlag, Director
Museum of the Waxhaws
Waxhaw, NC