From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:33:17 -0500
I really enjoyed reading Olivia's post. The bit about people being annoyed
by the guns rang some bells. Our museum is diagonally across the road from
Ottawa's largest long term (chiefly palliative) care hospital. They have
never complained about anything we have done, which have created more local
traffic, noise, etc., but we are VERY careful to point cannon AWAY from the
hospital during ceremonies in which they are fired. It makes quite a
difference. There are other advantages. We fire the guns into a small grove
of pin oaks and the paper wadding is traped by the branches and falls to the
ground, so the "beaten zone" is very small. The trees have not been damaged.
A little common sense and consideration goes a long way but there is no
pleasing all the folks.

I recall being a battery commander almost thirty years ago firing a salute
in a large park in London, Ontario. We had erected stanchions and ropes to
keep the public well back of our 105mm howitzers, both for safety's sake and
because we didn't want them unduly startled by the noise of the guns firing.

One woman with a small boy refused to cooperate, because "she was a citizen
of this city and it was a public park and how dare we tell her what to do",
etc., etc. (you know the type). I explained to her about the noise and the
danger but she was damned if she would move. Inasmuch as she really wasn'd
in the way or in a dangerous spot, I gave up and carried on.

At the sound of the first round, her son started screaming like a banshee
and continued full bore all through the 21 gun salute. At the end of it, as
my men were preparing to move, she came storming over and ran up one side of
me and down the other about how I should have warned her and what did we
think we were doing, disturbing the peace like that, etc., etc.

Luckily, I spotted the Commander, Canadian Forces Base London, walking a
couple hundred yards away and said "Ma'am, do you see the man in uniform
with the four gold rings on his sleeve? Well, he's our base public relations
officer and I really think he's the one you should be talking to."

Off she went and I turned to my battery sergeant major and said, "Smartly
now, BSM! Let's get the H___ out of here while the getting is good!"

I never heard another word about the incident, so concluded that the base
commander had done his usual excellent job.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]