From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:01:24 -0700
I beg to differ with you, Indigo;

The request for assistance did not fall on deaf ears; Rossy was looking for print avenues to follow, and for this case, there likely isn't any to find.  The respondents (at least, speaking for myself) are not in a position to provide the direct input requested, so we did our best to encourage, and provide avenues of investigation for primary research.  I suppose I could have made the effort to contact museum restaurants and shops myself, but that would require me researching appropriate venues, finding contact info, etc., and doing all the things that I'm sure an original thinker such as Rossy is more than capable of doing, for a subject that Rossy has a much better grasp of than I do.  Not only is that kind of leg-work on my part not within my scope of work, it isn't what was requested.

Even in such learned and August company as this group, there's going to be some subjects we just don't know.  Admitting that, and suggesting courses of investigation is not shirking our responsibility; it's forwarding our collective knowledge about our industry.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Esplanade Museum
401 First Street SE
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 8W2
Tel: (403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/24/2006 1:37 PM >>>
Guys, I'm having a little trouble with the advice
given, that basically she should tough it out and go
it alone.

What she's done is, rather than to make phone calls,
or face-to-face visitions that may be out of her
financial reach at the present (ever heard of starving
students?), she's taken the approach of going to the
group and asking for their inputs.  Doesn't mean she
can't extrapolate your feedback into something that
becomes her own, but she's taking "the smarter way,"
in my book of getting expert advice at less expense.

Anybody seen lately how god awful schooling has
become?  I should hope that, if a student comes to
this learned body and looks for assistance, they
wouldn't be turned away and told go find it for
yourself.  That doesn't mean a student should
plagiarize anything; it just means that one should
pour the knowledge between the ears through the spigot
of the internet to lend them a hand.

Not picking on Jay or anyone.  I just believe we have
a responsibility to help our young people where we
can, and they have a responsibility, as well, to help
in return.

--- Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings Rossy!
>
> Happily for you, a graduate student seeking a new
> take on long-established practices, there are
> unlikely (m)any (re)sources relating museum gift
> shops and cafés with Post-Colonial theories of 'the
> other'.
>
> Besides, it is fair academic method to extrapolate
> theories in typical post-colonial theory (Homi K.
> Bhabha, Edward Said, et al.).  The notion of the
> Americas . . . an 'other' as unspoiled and unused
> (as if the indigenous peoples were not already
> here!) . . . with wilderness to be tamed and natural
> resources to be plundered.  The "noble savage" . . .
> an 'other' to European "civility."  And more.
>
> I agree with the two previous posters -- Adrienne
> and Tim.  YOU can become the quotable expert, and
> this sounds like a novel idea!  Go for it, be bold
> and brave . . . but make sure you've got the support
> of your supervisory/thesis committee.
>
> Best wishes, sincerely,
>
> Jay Heuman
> Curator of Education
> Salt Lake Art Center
>
> 20 South West Temple
> Salt Lake City, UT  84101
> Phone: 801.328.4201 x 21
> Fax: 801.322.4323
>
> Salt Lake Art Center:
> Celebrating 75 Years!
> 1931-2006

Indigo Nights

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies