From:
Peter Rebernik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 09:44:45 +0200
Dear David Harvey,

I visited the excellent site you mentioned, the American Institute for
Conservation. I thought it is quite remarkable that in you conference you
even had a lesson on:
"The Zemaljski Musej in Sarajevo: The Response to Four Years of War Damage
and the Prospects of Peace" by R. E. Child from the National Museums and
Galleries of Wales.
I do hope that we (someone) could care for the cultural treasures destroyed
in the civil war in the Kosovo are right now. In all the Yugoslav conflicts,
especially the cultural sites (churches of the other religion, libraries,
museums) were intentionally destroyed.

Greetings,
Peter, the Rebernik

+---------------------------------------------------
+------------------------------------------------------

>The annual meeting of The American Institute for Conservation, which just
concluded, had a week long exploration of the theme, "Disaster Preparedness,
Response, and Recovery". There were a numerous case studies presented.  To
obtain a list of the programe and workshops you can go to the AIC web site
at :
>http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic
>
>I would also recommend that you contact the AIC office to ask seek advice
on how our meeting went and on the resources that are available - it is
always helpful to avoid re-inventing the wheel!

>.I felt that in many ways we were preaching to the converted (conservators)
and that the most important people to hear these stories and to implement
preventative measures would be museum administrators and directors.  There
are important lessons to be gleaned!