Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:08:14 -0600
Deb et al:

I must refer you to that fount of wisdom, Ms. Mentor.  Her column, "Can just
anyone teach?" can be found at the following URL:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/2000/07/2000072101c.htm

Please read it for a practical and wise explanation of why one does, in
fact, need to be a subject area expert in order to teach.

a sample:

"Ms. Mentor, more tactful and more gentle, will point out that there are
reasons for degree requirements: to make sure that the individual knows the
subject, knows the research, uses the most current teaching methods,
understands the theoretical jargon, and can share the rules of the field
with students. (Would you trust a mentor who had never been an academic?) "

Although Ms. Mentor's advice is for academics, I find her advice useful on
the museum track as well.  And it sticks with me - I'm sure I read this
column two or more years ago when it was new, but the minute I read Deb's
response to the survey, I thought of it.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
Laurel, MS
(phone) 601-649-6374