From:
Tim Aydelott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:15:34 -0600
On 4/14 Amy Marshall wrote:

>That's the one thing I don't understand. My husband, who has a B.A. in
>biology and another in anthropology, and nearly an M.A. in maritime
>history/nautical archaeology started out as a volunteer at a children's
>farmstead and later at a small zoo in Northeastern Kansas....
>

>I guess my beef is: does the internship and/or job experience have to be SO
>SPECIFIC to the position? Are our personnel departments not creative enough
>to understand that some types of experience translate?...

>frustrations here (sorry), but it's annoying that there's a rampant bias
>against experience that is not "traditional museum" specific.
>
>Amy Marshall

I know I will offend many and be flamed by a few, but Amy, have you not
been paying attention to the elitist attitudes of many on this list? It
translates and transfers across the board with their own views of who
should and should not be "Museum People".

Just my .02 worth.  Good luck with your respective searches. If you are
seriously interested in the field some one will recognize the
appropriateness of your experience. The other ones you don't want to work
for anyway.

Tim

Tim Aydelott
New Mexico Museum of Natural
History and Science
1801 Mountain Road NW
Albuquerque, NM  87104
(505)841-2845
(505)841-2866 FAX

"...the only time my education was interrupted was when I was in school..."
                                                        -- G.B. Shaw