From:
"Dowling, Deidre" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:52:29 -0500
Hi Annie,
I was in a similar position a couple of years ago.  After 4 years I
began to experience physical symptoms from the stress and as the
situation was unlikely to change I knew it was time for me to go.

I explained my leaving as wanting to explore new opportunities and I
expressed that I felt I had learned and contributed as much as I could
at that position and it was time for new challenges. (This is also what
I told my boss when I resigned.) In the interviews it was noted that I
was responsible for many different duties including one entire
department-made up of me ;). I kept it positive by focusing on how the
varied experiences gave me a wide variety of skills and knowledge and
how these would benefit my new employer.

In going to "just" collections management you will be able to learn
about that area much more comprehensively then when your attention is
divided among 5 (or more)jobs.  You could say that you have had the
opportunity to learn about many different aspects of museum work and now
want to concentrate more fully on collections management (or whatever)
as you find it the most compelling, interesting, etc.  And at the
current job you don't have the opportunity to pursue this. This is also
a reason why you are looking for a new position.

Best of luck-
Deidre Dowling