From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:56:39 -0500
Kim,

Lots of great responses already for you to think about. Obviously an
important issue. A similar discussion went through the lists a few weeks
back.

Mike and Timothy are right, specifically in that you do not necessarily
need a museum background to work in a museum. If you want to stay in or
near communications, then another degree in that or specifically education
might serve you better. Our outreach and publications coordinator has no
museum background at all, and actively avoids working with the
artifacts(with which I am fine). Unless you are going to be doing serious
collections care or other specific specialized functions, then a more
diverse education will likely serve you and your institution better.

To be quite honest, a basic understanding of the various museum functions
can be had in a number of ways. Academic  programs are the best ways, but
certainly not the only ways to acquire that training. Many certificate
programs provide exactly that, a basic understanding, and are certainly not
the equal of their more intensive full-degree cousins. Certificate programs
also tend to focus on narrower aspects of museum work than full degree
programs, such as curatorial practice or exhibit design, and often do not
provide balanced experiences in terms of the range of museum work.

I think marketability and flexibility are far more important to prospective
employers than the depth of your museum knowledge, especially in today's
museum-certificate-glutted market. A masters is certainly not necessary to
work effectively in a museum or to make a valuable contribution, but it is
necessary to compete for the few jobs that are out there. You will
certainly not be wasting your time with a certificate in museum studies,
but you will likely find that the parent degree, to which that certificate
is attached, will be of more import in determining said marketability.
Variety seems to be the key in many circumstances, as most museum positions
require broad based knowledge and ability.

For a little training, or a basic introduction to general museum work in
lieu of a program, you might consider just volunteering a little. I realize
time spent is a big factor, but a little volunteering can go a long way to
helping you pin down where you might want to focus your efforts, in terms
of museum career directions. At the very least it will allow you to
eliminate some areas you definitely do not want to entertain. Let the
institution(s) you volunteer in know up front about your interest in
getting a good feel for the field and they should be able to help you hit
all the high points.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Kim Steffgen
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Certificates vs. Master's Degrees

             10/15/2004 12:18
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hello, Everyone,

I am considering whether or not to apply to a Museology program.  I have a
degree in communication and have been a freelance writer for many years. I
want to turn my love of research, communication skills, writing skills,
etc. toward a museums career; preferably education.

I live in Portland where there are no museum programs, nor any in Oregon as
far as I can see. .The University of Washington has a wonderful program.
Joining that program would require me to move and uproot my family. The U
of W also has a certificate program; one which I could manage without
disrupting my life too much.

I realize that most jobs require the Masters. What is the general consensus
out there among you hiring managers about certificates? Would I be wasting
my money and time with a Certificate? Or, would it afford me some
immediately marketable skills, qualifying me for a job in the field?

How can I start training in this field before waiting another three years
to begin and complete a program?

Thanks for all feedback.  : )

Kim Steffgen

Subscriber Information: